Fidayeen attack on Pakistan train kills 24, Baloch Army claims responsibility

The explosion near Quetta's Chaman Phatak damaged train coaches, nearby homes and vehicles, while the Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility, calling it a suicide attack.

Advertisement
Pak train blast
The blast triggered a fire close to the railway track near Chaman Phatak in Quetta. (Images: Social media)

At least 24 people were killed and many critically injured in a powerful explosion near a railway track in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta on Sunday, news agency Associated Press reported. Many of those injured in the attack are said to be in critical condition.

Shortly after the blast, the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for what it described as a 'fidayeen' or suicide attack targeting Pakistani military personnel travelling on a train.

advertisement

Pakistani broadcaster ARY News, citing local police, reported that the explosion took place near Chaman Phatak in Quetta. The blast triggered a fire close to the railway track, prompting locals, emergency teams and fire brigade personnel to rush to the spot.

People and police officers gather after a blast near a railway track in Quetta. (Image: Reuters)
People and police officers gather after a blast near a railway track in Quetta. (Image: Reuters)

Quetta is the capital of insurgency-hit Balochistan province.

Police officials said the explosion caused extensive damage in the surrounding area, shattering windows and glass panes of nearby buildings. Several houses and vehicles parked close to the railway line were also damaged in the impact.

Rescue and security teams cordoned off the area soon after the incident, while emergency operations remained underway.

Local reports said one bogie of the Jaffer Express caught fire in the blast. The train was reportedly scheduled to depart for Peshawar.

People gather as they search for survivors after a blast near a railway track. (Image: Reuters)
People gather as they search for survivors after a blast near a railway track. (Image: Reuters)

Balochistan's Special Assistant for Home Affairs, Babar Yousafzai, said authorities were collecting information about the incident and that more details would be shared after verification. He added that all relevant institutions had been placed on alert and urged residents to avoid gathering near the blast site while rescue work continued.

In its statement, the BLA said its Majeed Brigade, described as the group's self-sacrificing unit, carried out a "highly organised" attack on a train allegedly carrying personnel of the Pakistani Army from Quetta Cantonment.

"This morning, the Majeed Brigade, the fidayee (self-sacrificing) unit of the Baloch Liberation Army, targeted a train transporting personnel of the occupying forces from Quetta Cantt in a highly organized fidayee attack. The Baloch Liberation Army accepts full responsibility for this operation. Detailed information regarding the operation, along with the specific material and human casualties inflicted upon the enemy as a result of the attack, will be released shortly in an official statement to the media," the BLA said.

- Ends
Published By:
Devika Bhattacharya
Published On:
May 24, 2026 11:27 IST